September 02, 2003

Tomb Raider 2, Star Wars and internet message boards.

Have just seen Tomb Raider 2: The Cradle of Life and am quite unsure what to make of it. Jan De Bont has made an enjoyable film but in my opinion that's as far as it goes. There's nothing of real substance to it, nothing that you can get your teeth into. Lara goes somewhere, shoots people, goes somewhere else, shoots some more people, picks something up, uses technology, goes somewhere else and the film ends. No real tension anywhere in the film IMHO. However, the ending was well done, with Angelina Jolie injecting some real feeling into Lara. Overall I'm uninspired by the film. 6 out of 10.

On another note, as I was writing this we've just had a, rather heated debate about Star Wars Episode 2. Simon says that the film wasn't as bad as it could've been, I said that it was terrible and Jon was in-between the two of us, saying some parts were terrible and some parts weren't. It started because I said that Tomb Raider 2 was better than the first one because it din't have all the emotional cheese between Lara and her Dad that the first one had. Now I don't have a heart of stone and when romance and emotions are done well in a film I'm all for it. However, I cringed in Tomb Raider 1 at the scenes between Lara and her Dad, they were badly written and badly done. I also cringed immensley at the Anakin and Padme scenes in SW:EP 2. It especailly grates whehn you consider the resources that George Lucas had at his disposal and he couldn't come up with a decent script for his labour of love. The cheesey lines that Anakin utters, they just cannot be stomached; "You've grown, more beautiful I mean." ARRRGGHHH!!!!!!

Also, how come Anakin has aged but Padme has not? How can a crew overlook this ludicrously simple plot-hole? They could have explained it away "We age slower on Naboo, chemicals in the air you know." But they did not. It annoys so much because the team behind the film KNEW what they had to deliver, and they failed miserably. It's not that I have a heart of stone, I can understand the feeling behind the romantic scenes and dialog but, CRINGE! If this movie had any other title than "Star Wars" it would have been slated, as it was it just managed to scrape by.

Rant over. Do you agree? E-mail me with your opinions and I'll put them up here.

Anyway, during my time off from Uni I've been frequenting internet message boards for Alias and CSI. Join in the fun at All Alias, the Alias Hangout, Alias UK and CSI Under The Bridge. I go under the alias Gledster2000.

Later, when I feel I've got something worth saying.

C

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join in the conversation! Of course, if you're a SPAMMER you can FOAD! Have a nice day.