June 23, 2005

BBC To Time Delay 'Live' news

From Forbes.com.

Apparently, as the story above says:

"The BBC will introduce a time delay for live broadcasts of sensitive news events such as the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on the United States and the school massacre in Beslan, Russia, the company said Thursday.

The several-second delay will allow editors time to cut scenes deemed too shocking, the broadcaster said.

British Broadcasting Corp. management said was instituting the delay after complaints about its live coverage of the graphic events during the Beslan school takeover in September..."



I don't like the sound of this. I know I'm being picky but isn't LIVE news meant to be exactly that? If I'm watching an important and historic broadcast (and I'm not being morbid here) I want to see it in it's entirity. I don't want editors telling me which part of this, possibly life changing event, I cannot watch. For the people who complained to the BBC and made them take up this decision, you can always SWITCH THE TV OFF or, if you're addicted to the TV, CHANGE THE CHANNEL. It's not a hard idea to grasp.

Surely, if LIVE news is being edited, it's no longer LIVE? It's an editors vision of what the story should be. Yes, I too would love to live in a world where we all loved each other and didn't do bad things to one another but that world does not exist. Shocking things happen and sometimes they are filmed by news cameras. Get over it. If you're disgusted then change the channel or read a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join in the conversation! Of course, if you're a SPAMMER you can FOAD! Have a nice day.